5th October 2017: migraines, medically unexplained symptoms and when a picture could be worth a thousand words



Coincidentally, or perhaps not, this week’s paper continued our motif around “drawing”. Rutberg and Öhrling’s (2012) paper sought to explore the meaning of women’s experience of living with migraines. Within an interview setting, individuals were asked to draw pictures illustrating what living with migraines “is like”. Drawings were included as method of furthering talk, seemingly once topics of discussion been “exhausted”.

Following last session’s presentation from Dr Zoë Boden, inevitably we found ourselves comparing and contrasting the differing approaches of including drawings within phenomenological research. Here, and almost echoing back to our reaction to Lian and Lorem’s (2017) paper, we felt as though the drawings could have been incorporated in a more meaningful way. One drawing was included within the paper, but left to “speak for itself”; used as an example of the type of picture produced, with their “enriching” quality defined in terms of provoking further spoken discussion. When compared to Dr Boden’s work, in which the drawings truly became the data, the “richness” fully explored through interpretation of their metaphorical quality, we wondered what a greater inclusion of migraine representations could have looked like (literally and figuratively!). The question of “consensus” within phenomenological data was also explored, a concept that can seem at odds with an idiographic commitment.

Our discussions were further framed by a PHaR member’s PhD, which will be looking at male experiences of migraines; similarly to Rutberg and Öhrling (2012), utilising upon the hermeneutic phenomenology of van Manen (1997). We discussed the impact of a diagnosis of “migraine” in relation to participant inclusion. All of Rutberg and Öhrling’s (2012) participants had received a formal diagnosis. We wondered how the experiences of those self-diagnosed, due to their perceived impact, may differ than those defined by external means (such as a diagnosis). Particularly, we felt that developing links between literature around “medically unexplained symptoms” and the themes derived from the “invisibleness” of migraines could be potentially illuminating. Building on the writing of Rutberg and Öhrling (2012) we envisaged a PhD which could potentially bridge between a descriptive (the “essence” of male migraines) and more interpretative phenomenological stance.

References

Lian, O. S., & Lorem, G. F. (2017). “I do not really belong out there anymore” Sense of being and belonging among people with medically unexplained long-term fatigue. Qualitative health research27(4), 474-486.

Rutberg, S., & Öhrling, K. (2012). Migraine–more than a headache: women’s experiences of living with migraine. Disability and rehabilitation34(4), 329-336.

van Manen M. (1997). Researching lived experience: Human science for an action sensitive pedagogy. (2nd ed). Ontario: Althouse Press.

Comments

  1. I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com website: Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Am Mrs. Linda And I Want To Testify About How Dr Akhere Helped Me In Getting Back My Ex Husband Who Left Me And My Kids For Another Woman And Today I Am Very Fulfilled Because My Husband Is Back To Me After I Contacted Dr Akhere To Help Me , I'm Very Happy Now With My Family It Worked For Me And I Believe It Will Work For You Too Just Give Him A Try And Follow Up This Is A Clear Truth From A Testifier. Thank You Dr Akhere Once Again, If You Want To Reach Him Via Email: Akheretemple@gmail.com Or Call / Whatsapp: +2349057261346



































    I Am Mrs. Linda And I Want To Testify About How Dr Akhere Helped Me In Getting Back My Ex Husband Who Left Me And My Kids For Another Woman And Today I Am Very Fulfilled Because My Husband Is Back To Me After I Contacted Dr Akhere To Help Me , I'm Very Happy Now With My Family It Worked For Me And I Believe It Will Work For You Too Just Give Him A Try And Follow Up This Is A Clear Truth From A Testifier. Thank You Dr Akhere Once Again, If You Want To Reach Him Via Email: Akheretemple@gmail.com Or Call / Whatsapp: +2349057261346





















































































    I Am Mrs. Linda And I Want To Testify About How Dr Akhere Helped Me In Getting Back My Ex Husband Who Left Me And My Kids For Another Woman And Today I Am Very Fulfilled Because My Husband Is Back To Me After I Contacted Dr Akhere To Help Me , I'm Very Happy Now With My Family It Worked For Me And I Believe It Will Work For You Too Just Give Him A Try And Follow Up This Is A Clear Truth From A Testifier. Thank You Dr Akhere Once Again, If You Want To Reach Him Via Email: Akheretemple@gmail.com Or Call / Whatsapp: +2349057261346



































    I Am Mrs. Linda And I Want To Testify About How Dr Akhere Helped Me In Getting Back My Ex Husband Who Left Me And My Kids For Another Woman And Today I Am Very Fulfilled Because My Husband Is Back To Me After I Contacted Dr Akhere To Help Me , I'm Very Happy Now With My Family It Worked For Me And I Believe It Will Work For You Too Just Give Him A Try And Follow Up This Is A Clear Truth From A Testifier. Thank You Dr Akhere Once Again, If You Want To Reach Him Via Email: Akheretemple@gmail.com Or Call / Whatsapp: +2349057261346

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer Davison18 December 2021 at 08:32
    I can't believe that this man is so real, how can I thank you enough, I can't fail to testify about the good things you have been doing for me and now you still went ahead and do same for my friend, please everyone if you have anything disturbing you please your solution is hear with Dr.osupalagba the great spiritualist who can solve any problem in a twinkle of an eye. No matter the problems, whether spiritual problem, you want to get your ex back, promotion in your workplace, spiritual cleansing, fruit of the womb, mental illnesses, protection for gun, protection for cutlass, protection for bottle, protection for snake and scorpion bites and cure. Are you a victim of any of the above listed setbacks, you can contact Dr.osupalagbavia Email: osupalagba.temple@gmail.com


    Call/WhatsApp +234807051667586

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts